Thursday 11 October 2007

Why a UFO?

Hello there, how's everyone today? Working hard at those UFO's I hope? Ha ha ha who am I kidding...... if we were there wouldn't be a need for this blog.....

After I went shopping this morning, I came home and was doing the washing and a few other household chores. As I was going about my business I was thinking about this blog, and UFO's. I got to wondering, 'What makes a UFO a UFO?' Why is it that that particular project doesn't get finished yet others do?

We can all use the excuse of not having time, which is a good one if we just want to kid ourselves with an excuse to make ourselves feel better, BUT, the fact is we all DO have the time if we are passionate enough about that project.

I can't answer for anyone else but for me a number of reasons came to mind:

* It got too hard - I got out of my depth and perhaps I need help with instructions or materials.
* I don't like the colors/design/fabric/yarn anymore. Perhaps I did too many projects in that color/yarn whatever, and now I've reached that, "Oh God I NEVER want to see this color/yarn again!"
* I found a new pattern I just HAVE to make RIGHT NOW! So the one I was working on gets tossed aside for the time being.
* I just have too many projects going at once and can't work on them all at the same time.
* Perhaps I've gone off quilt making and I'm back into crochet, so the unfinished quilts, fabric and supplies get put away until I want to get back into it again. Or vice versa.
* Perhaps my kids are unwell and I need something simple and easy to do that doesn't need concentration, and before I know it, months have gone by.
* Perhaps I ran out of one of the materials/yarns and can't get more just yet.

These were just a few I was thinking about, if I knew how to do a poll, I would do one but I'm not that clever at Blogger yet.

And the other question I contemplated was how long does a project have to be untouched to make it a UFO, not just a project waiting to be finished? Most of us have more than one thing we're working on at once, I think it just comes with being a creative person. But if that project doesn't get worked on, how long does it take to make it a UFO? A week? A month? Six months? A year? Or more? Again, this would be another interesting poll.

So these were this mornings thoughts, I hope I will get some feedback on my questions, it'll be interesting to see what YOU think.

And lastly, where are my fellow UFO bloggers? Come on ladies! I don't want to be a blog-hog!

Have a great day my friends!

Seeya
Michelle XXX

No comments: